Wednesday, August 4, 2010

299,792,458 metres per second

My brain often moves with the speed of light and for the longest time I made it my priority to physically catch up to that until I realized how pointless this race is.
The problem with the rat race, as famous quote goes, is that even if you win, you are still a rat.

In yoga, my instructors often say that there is no competition. It's just you and your mind and body. You are pushing only as far as your mind/body allows and accepting and breathing... One move at a time.

It's what I am learning here, on the island: to slow down. The noise of street, of neighbors, of barking dogs, of moving trucks, even of rain pounding on the sidewalk as palm trees whisper loudly by my window... all that fades and it's just me and my mind.

Things are always hard, always challenging. They always have been- ever since I remember myself. Last month or two, I have been saying things out loud:"what is the message? what am I supposed to do?". The challenges became, what I thought, impossible and I saw no way out. The answer was to not "do" anything but rather to accept, wait and learn. Even what seemed impossible at the time ended up being a great lesson and a rewarding obstacle.

No comments:

Post a Comment